One of the greatest debates in the world of grilling concerns which type of grilling is better—gas grills or charcoal grills. Feelings are strong on both sides of the debate, but we’re here to provide more insight and facts for your decision process.
No matter what type of grill you choose from us here at BBQ Outlets – whether it be a gas grill or charcoal grill – you can’t make anything short of a good decision with all of the top-tier brands we offer.
The Pros and Cons: Propane vs. Charcoal
We may not be able to sway minds that are already made up, but following are pros and cons to each type of grill.
The Pros of Gas Grills
- Ease of Temperature Control – Gas grills have many designated dials and knobs and separate zones for cooking, which makes it much easier to control the overall temperature. Many gas grills are composed of high-quality stainless steel and have built-in internal heat deflectors which allow for the grill to heat up more quickly, and retain its temperature. This makes gas grills perfect for quickly and effortlessly searing meat like a steak or salmon.
- Versatility – In the debate of propane vs. charcoal, this is one big “W”, for #teamgasgrill. Gas grills typically have more customizable parts and additional accessories that can be purchased. The gas grill itself also generally has multiple available burners or cooking zones allowing for an easier time of quickly grilling something up or searing a steak while more food is cooked in a low-and-slow type of way. In fact, many gas grills now have “infrared zones” that are designed to behave much like the cooking zones of a charcoal grill making those meals that take a little bit longer to cook up perfect for a gas grill.
- More Eco-Friendly – Since gas grills use propane, they actually are burning more “clean” energy. The only byproducts are carbon dioxide and water vapor. In general, gas grills actually produce half the amount of carbon dioxide in an hour’s time than that of a charcoal grill.
The Cons of Gas Grill
- Smoky Taste – The biggest downside to a gas grill is that achieving that nostalgic summertime BBQ taste, is a bit more challenging to do without coal or wood. However, there are ways to still do this on a gas grill, like using wood chips in a foil packet. Even still, despite popular beliefs, you cannot tell the difference between a charcoal-grilled burger and a gas-grilled burger. Gas grills are also typically better for foods like fish, veggies, etc. since the type of fuel used does not overwhelm the natural flavors of the food being grilled.
- More Expensive – Obviously due to all of the aforementioned bells and whistles that come with gas grills, so does the price tag. The good news is that you won’t even be thinking about that as soon as you turn on the burners for the first time, and especially once you realize that you actually save more money on average buying propane tanks over time than bags of charcoal or woodchips.
The Pros of Charcoal Grills
- Classic, Smoky BBQ Flavor – If you’re following one of the many top pitmaster’s famous grill setups, then you may already be a charcoal grill aficionado. Most fans of the charcoal side of the propane vs. charcoal debate would agree that one of the best reasons to purchase a charcoal grill is for the standard, smoked barbecue flavor that everyone has grown to love and is a necessary staple at any future summer bash.
- Generally Smaller – Many charcoal grills are much smaller in size than gas grills that fall on the other side of the coin. This means that charcoal grills are generally a better-suited option, especially as one of the grill options for small backyard spaces.
- Less Costly – Unlike gas grills which tend to be a bit more pricey, charcoal grills are generally a lot less when it comes to the initial price tag. This allows for you or the grill master in your life even more room to purchase additional components for your luxury outdoor space, like finally giving in to the hype of why you need an outdoor griddle ASAP!
The Cons of Charcoal Grills
- Not As Much Versatility – Charcoal grills can be a bit more finicky when it comes to temperature control since the way you use the fuel source itself can depend on if you use briquettes versus hardwood and smaller versus larger chunks. Also depending on the weather conditions for that day and the positioning of the lid, can cause the airflow to affect the way everything is burning and how the food itself is being cooked. Charcoal also requires more monitoring for a food item that may require more time like some slow-and-low barbecue, whereas a gas grill does not require as much. If you also want to change how you are cooking things and go from a low-and-slow way of cooking to a faster method, can be a bit more difficult with a charcoal grill since the temperature does not typically change as quickly as a gas grill’s temperatures can.
- Harder to Clean – While we do recommend a regular scrubbing, charcoal grills may require a little bit more elbow grease after each use, as you have to clear out the ash collector. Gas grills generally only need a quick wipe down after each use and disposing of anything from the internal collection tray.
3 Sizzling Types of Gas Grill Brands You Can Buy Today
It’s nearly impossible to assign an order to our premium brands. They are all equally exceptional. So, as long as you purchase from us one of our leading names in the world of BBQ, you can’t go wrong with any of our three highlighted picks. Between Fire Magic, Hestan, Twin Eagles, and a plethora of other notable premium grill brands, you have your work cut out for you in terms of deciding what will best suit your barbecue needs for your beautiful backyard.
Fire Magic is an awesome brand to consider for your outdoor paradise. Not only are they a great option for a gas grill, but they’re also notable for making high-quality charcoal grills too. With promising quality service and products for over 75 years, Fire Magic has developed outstanding technology that has helped push their grills to a level even beyond premium. Touting high-tech heat technology to get your grill to the perfect temperature, and with one of the largest cooking areas on the market, you can’t go wrong with a Fire Magic gas grill.
Hestan is another notable contender when it comes to purchasing a brand new gas grill for your outdoor oasis. Although they started out with kitchen gadgets and accessories for indoors, they have expanded over the past few decades to also include your outdoor kitchen space. With premium grills that have motion-activated lighting under the hood, allowing for precise grilling to take place no matter how the weather is outside or what time of day it is. The colors that the grills come available in alone will add a little bit of a pop to any backyard. Leave all of your guests asking you where you purchased your beautiful premium Hestan gas grill from.
Although Twin Eagles is being brought up last in our top choices for here, it is certainly not the least. Anyone who purchases a Twin Eagles gas grill is promised a unique heating and grilling system unlike any other on the market. With built-in revolutionary technology, each Twin Eagles gas grill comes outfitted with infrared cooking zones that are perfect for searing and achieving that crispy brown that some people love when the debate is focused on their barbecue alone.
Our Top 3 Patio Charcoal Grill Brand Recommendations
Of course, there is also the option to buy one of our premium charcoal grills if a gas grill doesn’t feel like the right fit for you and your outdoor oasis needs. Just like the gas grills we suggested, the charcoal grills we are also discussing, are some of the best we have to offer and we know that you and your loved ones will be happy with whatever one you decide to purchase for your backyard.
As we already mentioned, Fire Magic is a brand that is known not only for making exceptional gas grills but also for their high-quality charcoal grills. Constructed in 304-grade stainless steel, Fire Magic charcoal grills are made to last. And just in case anything were to ever pop up or you would need a quick fix or minor part replacement, Fire Magic provides a lifetime warranty.
Blaze is an additional company that is lighting up the world of barbecue with their premium line of grills. Not only are their charcoal grills also built to last for a lifetime, but just in case something does arise, they too have a lifetime warranty. However due to the incredible construction of their grills with nothing but using the most superior of materials and that also all have an extremely precise and accurate cooking system, it would be rare for you to ever find any sort of problem with a Blaze charcoal grill.
Finally – and definitely not at the bottom of our list for a pick – are the outstanding Kamado Joe cookers. These are the ultimate grills to choose from, especially if you are looking to have the low-and-slow cooking method that only a BBQ pitmaster may enjoy. The vibrant red color will be sure to pop in your outdoor kitchen and draw everyone’s attention. Immediately you and everyone else that you grill for, will notice not just the outward, external charm of a Kamado Joe, but all the fun and tasty barbecue it can provide from its extreme varying temperature modes, and overall top tier design.
2022’s Tastiest Recipes for Your New Grill
With your brand new gas grill or charcoal grill, you’re going to need some tasty treats to grill up. Leave your’s and your guests’ tastebuds singing with these unique recipes that are ideal for the weather warming up.
Gas Grill Recipes
- Easy Grilled Salmon
- Grilled Adobo Chicken Burritos
- Grilled BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
- Grilled Beets – Red and Golden
- Grilled Shrimp & Veggie Kebabs
- Grilled Teriyaki Chicken
- Simple Grilled Asparagus
- Smash Burger Sliders with Spicy Date Spread
We’re thinking about getting a grill for our outdoor kitchen. Thank you for explaining some of the pros to a gas grill. I think I’ll pass some of it on to my husband to see if he would like one of these.